.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ponder Points

A Ponder Point is a significant, outstanding, or effective idea, argument or suggestion that needs to be weighed in the mind with thoroughness and care.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Bloom Where You Are Planted


I was driving out to a job site which is located in the middle of the desert the other day and ran across a cactus that had managed to get a foothold on a rocky ledge. Somehow it had managed to not only survive but to actually thrive on the solid rock ledge. There it was, blooming it's heart out against all odds. Seeing it made me remember an old saying that my grandmother repeated to me several times, "Bloom where you are planted."

Many of us are always waiting for the perfect set of circumstances to do something we have always wanted to do. We think if only I had more time or if only I had more money or if I lived somewhere else or _______________ (you fill in the blank) I would do such and such. Unfortunately the perfect situation never occurs. That leaves us only two choices: give up on our dream or dig in and get started where we are in life right now. "Bloom where you are planted".

I have always wanted to write but kept putting it off waiting for more hours in the day or the perfect office, or for me to magically get the self discipline to plant my butt in a chair long enough to get something down on paper. Seeing that cactus and remembering my grandmother's words made me realize that unless I get started right now and right here that I would never realize my dream. So here I am. This blog is my first attempt to produce coherent writing on an ongoing basis. I am attempting to "Bloom where I am planted".

1 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Oldmarinesgt said...

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home